In most homes, properly installed electrical wiring, circuit panels, outlets, switches, and other electrical components will perform safely for at least a few decades. Unfortunately, though, that’s not always the case. Because an electrical system’s lifespan is heavily dependent on the quality of the installation and the materials that comprise it, some systems become outdated and faulty within a relatively short period.

Might your electrical system be outdated? And more importantly, is it putting your home and safety at risk? Read on to find out.

Your Circuit Breaks Trip Frequently

It’s fairly normal for circuit breakers to trip every now and then, but if yours are tripping all the time, you have a serious problem on your hands. Either your electrical system isn’t equipped to handle the electrical load you’re using or some of its components are faulty. Whatever is causing the problem, is putting your safety and home at risk, so contact an electrician for a panel inspection as soon as you can.

Your Lights Flicker or Shut Off By Themselves

If you have old wiring in your house, your lights may flicker or dim intermittently when you keep them on for extended periods. If your lightbulbs aren’t loose, the problem may be caused by overloaded circuits or faulty wiring components, both of which require the prompt attention of a licensed electrician.

Your Outlets Are Loose, Discolored, or They Spark

Wall outlets should be secure and should not produce considerable sparking when you plug something in. While a tiny spark is normal and totally safe due to the way your outlets work, significant sparking is something you should absolutely be worried about. The same goes for any type of discoloration on the outlet cover.

If you’re worried you have a few hazardous outlets in your home, don’t use them and contact an electrician for outlet replacement service. It’s a quick and simple procedure, and more importantly, it’ll prevent an outlet-related house fire or electrocution.

Your Light Switches Don’t Always Work

If one or more of your light switches function intermittently and you’ve already checked the circuit(s) to be sure the problem isn’t there, you may have loose wiring connections. There’s also a chance someone tripped a wall outlet that’s on the same circuit, so try resetting your other outlets to see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t, call an electrician.

You Can Hear a Humming or Vibrating Sound From Your Walls

When it’s quiet in your house, can you hear a sort of vibration that appears to be coming from inside the walls? That’s a bad sign. Often, that humming noise is caused by electrical issues that you may not even be able to see. The most common problems include:

●        Loose wires inside the walls

●        Loose connections to outlets or switches

●        Overloaded wires

●        Improperly grounded wires


All of the above are serious issues that can present a major fire or electrocution hazard, so if you’ve notice buzzing or humming noises, contact an electrician for an inspection right away.

Worried You Have Old Wiring in Your House? Let Harrison Electric Fix It

If you believe your home has old wiring or an old electrical panel, get in touch with our team at Harrison Electric today to schedule an electrical inspection. We’ll let you know whether your safety may be at risk and recommend the best course of action for long-term system performance. We specialize in comprehensive rewiring, panel replacements, service upgrades, and much more, and we serve homes throughout Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the surrounding areas.

To learn more or schedule a service appointment, call us today at 763-544-3300 or request a quote online, and we’ll be in touch promptly.